I am a quick bread fanatic, well, I pretty much love any kind of bread. Chocolate is also one of my favorite things, so put my love of bread and chocolate together and you have a delightful chocolate bread recipe.
It is hard to beat the smell of fresh baked bread. I love how the smell fills up my whole house. It is quite comforting. And then finally biting into a piece of the freshly baked homemade bread, puts a huge smile on my face.
This chocolate bread recipe is super easy to make and packed with chocolate flavor. If you like banana bread, zucchini bread, coconut bread, etc. Then you will love this bread! Like other quick bread, it is super easy to make, if I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients and tools
In order to make this yummy chocolate bread you will need the following ingredients:
- Sugar – Use white granulated sugar. It is the main sweet element in this bread.
- Butter – You will need room temperature softened butter, so it will mix easily with the sugar. The butter will add lots of flavor to the bread.
- Eggs – The eggs will act as a binder for the other ingredients, add leavening, and moisture to the batter.
- Buttermilk – The buttermilk will add moisture and help make the bread soft and tender. The acid in the buttermilk will also react with the baking soda helping it to rise.
- Unsweetened Cocoa powder – Not to be confused with chocolate milk powder. The cocoa powder is what makes this bread chocolate bread.
- Baking powder – one of the leavening agents that also gives the bread structure.
- Baking soda – Another leavening agent which will help the quick bread rise and give it structure.
- Salt – The salt gives the bread flavor, balances out the sweetness, and enhances the flavor of the other ingredients.
Some optional ingredients that you can add are walnuts or pecans and chocolate chips.
Step 2: How to make chocolate bread
Begin by preheating your oven to 350 F/176 C. In a large bowl add the softened butter and the sugar. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer and cream those ingredients together. It will take around 20 to 30 seconds. If you don’t have a mixer you can use a stiff whisk or wooden spoon.
Step 3: Eggs and buttermilk
Next add in the large eggs and blend those in really well. Put the mixer away and do the rest by hand. This will ensure you don’t over mix the chocolate bread batter. Pour in the buttermilk. Use a spatula to fold in the buttermilk until well combined.
Step 4: Dry ingredients
Next add all the dry ingredients, the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, to a sifter and sift them into the bow. Alternatively, you can whisk them all together in a separate bowl and then add them to the batter.
Fold in the dry ingredients with a sturdy spatula until well combined, completing the chocolate bread batter.
Step 5: Bake that homemade chocolate bread
Grease a 5×9 inch bread pan with shortening or use cooking spray. Then pour the batter into the pan. Level the top with a spatula.
Next, bake the chocolate bread in the oven for 55 to 60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Step 6: Serve up a slice of that chocolate bread
When the bread comes out of the oven allow it to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Then use a cake spatula or butter knife and run it along the inside edges of the pan to help loosen the bread from the sides. Now remove the bread and place it on a wire rack to cool completely. Slice yourself up a piece and enjoy!
I really enjoy putting on strawberry preserves and butter on a slice. So yummy!
Step 7: How long does chocolate bread last?
Store the bread in a ziplock bag or in an airtight container for around 3 days at room temperature. It will last about a week in the fridge. Or you can freeze the bread for up to 3 months.
- Hand mixer
- 5×9 inch bread pan
- Wire rack for cooling
- Shortening or cooking spray
- 1 cup white granulated sugar 200g
- 1/2 cup butter room temp/softened (115g)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk 240g
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose plain flour (210)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 50g
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts optional (40g)
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips optional (60g)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C. In a large bowl cream together the butter and the sugar with a mixer.
- Add in the eggs and mix those until well combined. Put the mixer away. Add the buttermilk and stir/fold it in with a sturdy spatula or wooden spoon. Just until combined.
- In a sifter add the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Sift those dry ingredients into the bowl. Or if you don't have a sifter whisk them together in a separate bowl and then add them to the main bowl. Fold the dry ingredients into the batter until just combined.
- Some optional ingredients you can add at this point are walnuts or pecans and chocolate chips.
- Grease a 9×5 inch bread loaf pan or spray it with kitchen spray. Add the chocolate bread batter to the pan and bake it in the oven, middle rack, for 55 to 60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for 15 minutes. Remove it from the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely. Serve up a slice and enjoy! I like to add strawberry preserves and butter to mine, but it is amazing plain as well.
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: