I am a bit obsessed with chocolate. Chocolate makes the world go round in my opinion. If you love chocolate like me, you will love this chocolate cookies recipe.
There is something yummy about taking a traditional chocolate chip cookie recipe and turning it into an ultra chocolate packed recipe. I mean how can that idea go wrong? The simple answer is it can’t. These cookies have chocolate in three ways. They have melted chocolate, cocoa powder, and whole chocolate chips in the dough, giving you amazing chocolate flavor with every bite. This chocolate cookies recipe is so easy to make if I can do it you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients and tools
In order to make these yummy chocolate cookies you will need the following ingredients:
- All-Purpose Flour – Also known as plain flour in other countries.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – Don’t get confused between this and cocoa used for chocolate milk.
- Salt – The salt will balance out the sweetness and enhance the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Baking Soda – The baking soda is the main leavening agent.
- Dark Chocolate Chips – Or you may use milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Butter – The butter will add flavor and help make the cookies softer.
- White granulated sugar – One of the main sweet elements.
- Brown Sugar – The brown sugar will add more moisture to the cookie helping it to be chewier.
- Egg – The egg will help with the leavening as well as act as a binder for the cookie dough.
- Vanilla Extract – The vanilla will give the cookie dough flavor and enhance the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Powdered Sugar – This optional ingredient can be used to dust the top of the cookies.
Step 2: How to make this chocolate cookies recipe
First, preheat the oven to 325 F/162 C. Make sure the rack is in the middle position. Separate the chocolate chips evenly into 2 bowls. Melt one bowl of chocolate either using the microwave or using a double boiler. If you are going to use the microwave wave, use bursts of 25 to 30 seconds and then stir the chocolate. Repeat until the chocolate is melted. Set the melted chocolate aside for now.
Step 3: Cream the butter and sugar
Next, cream the softened butter and the brown and white granulated sugar in a large bowl using a hand mixer or stand mixer. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed throughout this chocolate cookie dough making process. Now, add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix them in.
Step 4: Yummy melted chocolate
Now comes our first bit of chocolate for this dough. Add in the melted chocolate and use a medium to a low setting on the mixer, just until it is well blended.
Step 5: Sift the dry ingredients
In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. If you don’t have a sifter you can use a whisk instead. Don’t skip this step, cocoa powder has a tendency to be lumpy, so this will get out all the lumps.
Step 6: Complete the chocolate cookies dough
Mix the dry ingredients with the cookie batter until combined. Add the remaining little bowl of chocolate chips to the dough. You can use the mixer or a spoon to mix in the chocolate chips. Now the chocolate cookies dough will be ready to go.
Step 7: Bake the chocolate cookies
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Use two large tablespoons and scoop out dollops of chocolate cookie dough onto the baking tray. Space the cookies a few inches apart. I can usually get 12 fairly large cookies on it. Bake the cookies for 15 to 18 minutes at 325 F/162 C. If you want softer cookies, bake them for 14 to 15 minutes. After the chocolate cookies have baked allow them to cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Step 8: Yummy Chocolate Cookies Recipe
Top the cookies off with powdered sugar and enjoy! Can you eat just one? I can’t.
How do I store the chocolate cookies?
Place the cookies in an airtight container and store them at room temperature. They will last 2 to 3 weeks. Although I doubt they will last that long. If you want a longer self-life out of them, place them in a freezer bag and freeze them.
Can this chocolate cookie recipe dough be stored in the fridge?
Yes, you can store any leftover cookie dough in the fridge in an airtight container or you may also freeze it.
Chocolate Cookies Recipe
- Hand mixer
- cookie sheet
- silicon mat or parchment paper
- cookie rack
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 128g
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 25g
- 1/2 tsp. of salt 3g
- 1 tsp. of baking soda 5g
- 10 to 11 oz dark chocolate chips milk chocolate, semi-sweet (326g)
- 1/2 cup of butter 113g
- 1/4 cup of white granulated sugar 56g
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 100g
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract 5mL
- powdered sugar for dusting optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 F/162 C.
- Separate the chocolate chips evenly into two small bowls. Set one bowl aside and melt the other bowl of chocolate. Use the microwave or a double boiler. In the microwave use bursts of 25 seconds and then stir, etc. Until melted.
- Cream the butter and both sugars together in a large bowl, with a mixer. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix those ingredients in.
- Pour the melted chocolate chips into the large bowl with the batter. Mix until just combined.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda. Use a whisk, if you don't have a sifter.
- Add the flour mixture to the cookie batter about half at a time and mix to form the dough. Add in the remaining chocolate chips. Mix them in with the mixer or use a wooden spoon.
- Use a cookie scoop or two spoons and create dollops of dough and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Place them 1 and a half to 2 inches apart. Bake one tray at a time, for 15 to 18 minutes. If you want softer cookies to bake them for 14 to 15 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for a few minutes, and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- Dust the tops of the cookies with powdered sugar if you like and serve them up. Store them at room temperature in an airtight container or freeze them. Enjoy!
Do you like the recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few other recipes you may like: