When the chocolate craving hits make these crepes and add a strawberry filling and you will have a perfect combination and balance of flavor. A party in your mouth with every bite. They are super easy to make, if I can do it, you can do it.
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make these amazing crepes you will need just a handful of ingredients:
- Milk -- I like to use whole milk but any milk will work including almond milk.
- White Granulated Sugar -- The sugar will add sweetness to the crepes.
- Flour -- Use all-purpose/plain flour.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder -- Make sure to use the baking cocoa powder and not the Nesquik chocolate powder for chocolate milk.
- Salt -- The salt will help balance out the sweetness and enhance the flavor of the other ingredients.
Step 2: How to make chocolate crepes
In a large bowl combine the milk, eggs, and sugar. Use a hand mixer or whisk and blend those ingredients together. You may also use a blender too if you like.
Step 3: Sift the dry ingredients
Now take a sifter and hold it above the bowl and add the cocoa powder, flour, and salt. And sift them into the bowl. It is important to do this because cocoa powder tends to get lumpy. Again a blend works really well for making the crepe batter.
Mix the dry ingredients in with the other ingredients completing the chocolate crepes batter. Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure everything is well incorporated.
Step 4: Cook those chocolate crepes
Now heat up your skillet, crepe pan, or crepe maker using medium heat for the burner. Add a dollop of butter to the pan. You can also use kitchen spray if you like. Lift the skillet up and use a ladle to pour the chocolate crepe batter into the pan. A measuring cup works great to get all the same sizes.
Tilt the pan and then rotate it so the bottom of the skillet is covered. If you are using a crepe pan or crepe maker you can use a little wooden tool to spread out the batter into a circle shape.
Allow the batter to cook until it gets pale and dry looking on the top. It usually only takes a minute or two. Use a spatula and flip the crepe over. It makes it easier if as you lift it with the spatula grab it gently with your fingers. The second side only takes about 30 seconds.
After it is done cooking remove it from the pan and put it on a plate and continue cooking the rest of them.
Step 5: Chocolate crepes toppings and filling
There are so many different toppings that you can use with these chocolate crepes. Some of my favorites are bananas, whipped cream, strawberries, and a homemade strawberry sauce. You can place the filling in the middle and roll them up, or fold them over into a pie shape.
Now all you need to do is dive right in and gobble up those crepes.
How do I store the chocolate crepes?
Layer the crepes with wax paper in between each crepe and store in the fridge for 4 to 5 days. You can also place them in a ziplock bag and freeze them for a few months.
- Skillet or crepe pan/maker
- Hand mixer or blender
- 1 cup of milk whole, 2%, 1% almond, etc. (250mL)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. of white granulated sugar 38 to 50g
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose plain flour (96g)
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. of unsweetened cocoa powder 24 to 32g
- Pinch of table salt
- Butter for skillet or kitchen spray
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, milk, and sugar. Use a whisk, hand mixer, or blender to mix the ingredients.
- Use a sifter and add the flour, cocoa powder, and salt and sift the dry ingredients into the bowl. Then use the whisk, hand mixer, and blender and blend the dry ingredients completing the chocolate crepes batter. Add more milk as necessary to thin out the batter.
- Heat a skillet, crepe pan, or crepe maker at medium heat. Add butter or kitchen spray. Use a ladle or measuring cup and pour some crepe batter into the pan. Tilt the pan and turn it so to batter covers the bottom.
- Cook the crepe for a minute or two on the first side until it gets dry and pale looking. Then flip the crepe with a spatula and allow it to cook another 30 seconds or so on that side. Remove it from the pan and place it on a plate and cook the rest.
- Add whatever fillings and toppings you like. For example, strawberries, bananas, whipped cream, powdered sugar, etc. You can put the fillings in the middle and roll it up, or fold it into the shape of a pie slice. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: