I love chocolate mug cake made in the microwave. It is so simple to make and the cake turns out moist and delightful. Ready in just a few minutes too!
Mug or bowl cakes are so amazing. They are perfect for portion control as well. The cool thing is you can do it with any flavor of cake mix that you want. You only need 3 simple ingredients to make this fabulous chocolate mug cake. Also if you are allergic to eggs or just don’t eat them, that is okay, no eggs required.
Maybe you don’t like cake mixes and want to make it from scratch, I got you covered. You can make it either way.
If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients and tools
In order to make this yummy chocolate mug cake you will need just 3 ingredients:
- Cake Mix – This will work with most cake mixes. (From scratch recipe listed below)
- Water – I like to use filtered water since my tap water tastes really bad.
- Oil – A number of different oils will work, vegetable, canola, etc.
- Mug or bowl (11/12 ounces for normal size)
Step 2: How to make a chocolate mug cake
Whether you are making a mug cake or bowl cake the steps will be the same, it just depends on the size of your bowl or mug. Add the cake mix, water, and oil to the mug and then use a fork to mix the ingredients together.
There you have it, your cake batter is ready to go. Do not follow what it says on the back of the box. Most of the time the cake will call for eggs, but you don’t need them in this!
Step 3: Microwave that cake!
Now it is time to microwave that cake. Place the mug or bowl in the microwave. A small bowl will only take about 1 minute on high. A normal-sized mug will take 1 minute and 30 seconds to 1 minute and 45 seconds on high. This all depends on the wattage of your microwave. If you have multiple mugs or bowls, cook them one at a time.
Once it is done, poke it in the middle with a toothpick, if it comes out clean it is ready to go. The mug and bowl will be hot, let it stand for a few minutes before handling it.
Step 4: Add those toppings to your chocolate mug cake
Once the cakes have cooled. You can top them with whatever you like. Frosting, sprinkles, and powdered sugar are some of my favorites. Or you can certainly just eat them plain. Enjoy!
Chocolate Mug Cake
- Mug or bowl
- Fork or small whisk
For a Mug (Full Sized Mug, 11/12 oz)
- 6 tbsp of cake mix use whatever cake mix you like
- 4 tbsp of water
- 2 tsp of canola or vegetable oil
For a Small Bowl (4/5 oz)
- 3 tbsp of cake mix
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1 tsp of canola oil or vegetable oil
From Scratch Chocolate cake recipe
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 4 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or canola oil
- 2 tbsp water
- pinch of salt
- In a mug or bowl combine the chocolate cake mix, water, and oil. Mix well with a fork.
- Microwave the mug for 1 minute 30 seconds to 1 minute 45 seconds. Check it with a toothpick, when it comes out clean it is ready.
- A small bowl measurement will take about 1 minute.
- Top with whatever you like such as, frosting, sprinkles, powdered sugar, etc.
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: