I just love this homemade easy pecan pie recipe. It is a perfect pie to have during the holidays or anytime you are craving something with pecans in it.
Did you know that the pecan pie is one of the most popular pies in North America? According to Tasteatlas it is ranked as 4th for top pies in North America. I can see why it is ranked so high. It is such a classic pie to eat.
So during the holidays when you are thinking of the pies to make, put this easy pecan pie on your list! And it is so simple to make with just a handful of ingredients, that are easy to find. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make pecan pie from scratch you need just 7 ingredients:
- Sugar – White granulated sugar
- Corn syrup
- Butter – You can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Vanilla extract
- Pecans – Halves or broken up into crumbs/chunks.
- Pie crust – Unbaked 9-inch pie crust, either a homemade pie crust or store-bought one.
- Pie pan
- Wooden spoon
Step 2: How to make easy pecan pie at home
Begin by making your pie crust first if you are using a homemade pie crust. Or just set out your frozen store-bought pie crust so it can thaw. Chill the homemade pie crust in the fridge while you make the filling.
In a medium pot add the white granulated sugar and the corn syrup. Set the heat to medium and then stir occasionally while it heats up and the sugar melts.
Once bubbles start to appear stir continuously as the mixture heats up and comes to boil. Once it boils allow it to keep boiling for about 3 minutes.
After that remove it from the heat and allow it to cool for 3 to 5 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C. Add the butter and the vanilla extract to the hot sugar mixture and stir until the butter melts.
Optionally, you can add the butter and vanilla while it is still on the stovetop. But I normally wait and do it after, less chance for the butter to burn. Once the butter has melted set the pot aside and allow it to cool further, about 5 minutes.
In a large bowl whisk together all of the eggs. Then pour the warm sugar mixture a little bit at a time into the eggs while mixing/whisking. This ensures the eggs don’t cook from the hot liquid. After about half of the liquid has been incorporated, you can add in the rest and whisk until combined.
Now the only left to do is add in the pecans. You can leave the pecans in halves or cut them up into chunks, or a combination of both. The easy pecan pie filling is complete. Super easy right?
Step 3: Bake that pecan pie!
Pour the pecan pie filling into your pie crust. Bake the pie for 45 minutes to an hour. Check it around the 30 minute mark to see how the edges and top of the pie are doing. If they are getting to brown you can cover it with foil.
Bake until it is full set, meaning, it is no longer jiggly on the top, and if you poke it in the middle with a toothpick, it will come out clean.
Remove the homemade pecan pie from the oven and allow it to cool completely, about an hour. Then, you can serve up a slice or two or three! Enjoy.
How long does homemade pecan pie last?
If you wrap it in plastic wrap, and store it in the fridge, the pie should last 3 to 4 days. You may also freeze it for a few months.
Can I make a pecan pie without corn syrup?
Sure! But the steps will be a bit different. Add an additional 1/2 cup of brown sugar or white sugar as well as 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. Just add all the ingredients to a large bowl, but melt the butter and pour it in. No heating it up on the stovetop.
Here are some other pie recipes you may like:
Easy Pecan Pie
- Wooden spoon
- 9-inch pie pan
- 1 1/2 cups of corn syrup 465g
- 1 cup of white granulated sugar 200g
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter 56g
- 1 1/2 tsp. of vanilla extract 7 ml
- 1 1/2 cups of pecans halves or broken into chunks (220g)
- 1 unbaked deep dish pie crust homemade or store-bought
- Begin by making your favorite homemade pie crust, or remove the frozen premade pie crust from the freezer. Or unroll the refrigerated pie crust and fit in a 9-inch pie pan.
- Add the sugar and corn syrup to a pot and place on the stovetop. Turn the heat to medium and stir occasionally, until small bubbles appear, then stir continuously as the mixture heats up further, once it starts to boil, keep stirring and let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Then take it off the heat and set aside and let it cool down for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 176 C. Then add the butter and vanilla extract to the hot sugar corn syrup mixture. Stir until the butter is melted. Once the butter has melted, set the pot aside and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs to a large bowl, then whisk them up, next take the corn syrup mixture and slowly add it while whisking the eggs, add it a little at a time, so the eggs do not cook! Then after about half of the corn syrup mixture has been added, you can add in the rest and mix.
- Now add the pecans to the mixture and mix well. The pecan pie filling is complete. Pour the whole amount into the prepared pie crust.
- Now bake the pie for 45 mins to an hour. Check it at the 30 to 35-minute mark, to see how the edges and top of the pie are doing, if they are getting too brown, add foil to protect them. You will know the pie is done when it has set and is not jiggly on the top and if you push a toothpick in the pie, it will come out clean. Once out of the oven let the pie sit for about an hour before serving. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Share and Pin it! Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.