Growing up I ate a lot of instant pudding. It was yummy and simple to make. This easy vanilla pudding from scratch recipe is so delicious and much better than the instant kind.
If you are a fan of desserts and like pudding, give this recipe a try. It does take longer than instant pudding to make, but it is so worth it! Also, you can combine it with some whipped cream to make a yummy pastry cream to fill eclairs or cream puffs.
Homemade easy vanilla pudding is a classic dessert that is sure to impress your pudding loving friends and family. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make this easy pudding you just need a handful of simple everyday ingredients:
- Milk – I use whole milk, but 2% and 1% will work as well. Almond milk will work too! But you will use a bit less of it.
- Cornstarch – This will thicken up the pudding.
- Vanilla extract
Step 2: How to make vanilla pudding
In a small bowl combine the cornstarch, sugar, and salt and whisk them together. You may also use a fork if you like.
Step 3: Heat the milk
Now, add the milk to a medium sauce pot and place it on your burner on the stovetop. Set the heat to medium (350F/176C).
Stir the milk occasionally and heat it up until you see little bubbles form on the edges of the milk.
Step 4: Complete the vanilla pudding
Now add the cornstarch and sugar mixture a little at a time, stirring in between until it dissolves. Repeat this process until it is all incorporated.
Continue stirring and cooking the pudding until it thickens and it coats/sticks to the back of a spoon. This is how you can tell it is finished.
Step 5: Flavor the vanilla pudding
Once the pudding has thickened remove it from the heat and add the butter and vanilla extract. This adds lots of flavor. Stir the ingredients in until the butter melts and they are both well incorporated.
Next, pour the pudding into a few serving bowls and allow it to cool at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes.
Then cover it with plastic wrap. The plastic wrap will keep the vanilla pudding from forming a layer of skin on the top. Place the pudding in the fridge and allow it to chill for at least an hour before serving.
When you are ready to serve it, remove the plastic wrap and dig in. You can also serve the pudding warm if you like. Enjoy!
If you are a fan of chocolate, you can also make this chocolate pudding if you like.
How long does homemade vanilla pudding last?
If stored covered in the fridge, the pudding will last 5 to 6 days.
Easy Homemade Vanilla Pudding
- spatula or wooden spoon
- metal spoon
- serving containers
- Plastic wrap
- 2 cups of milk whole, 2%, 1% (500ml) Almond milk works too, but only use 1 1/2 cups of it.
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar 100g
- 3 Tbsp. of cornstarch 23g
- 1/4 tsp. of salt 1g
- 1 Tbsp. of butter 14g
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract 5ml
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Add the milk to a medium pot and heat it on the stovetop with medium heat until bubbles form on the edges.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture a little at a time until it dissolves completely. Continue stirring and heating the milk until it thickens up and becomes pudding. The way you can tell if it is thick enough is it will stick to the back of a spoon and not fall off easily.
- Remove the pudding from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and butter. Scoop or pour the pudding into serving bowls and allow it cool for 15 minutes or so at room temp. Then cover the bowls with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for at least an hour. Or you can eat the pudding warm. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: