Do you like Rice Krispies treats? Those iconic American desserts. If so, then you will love these popular Australian party snacks called Honey Joys!
First of all, I love honey. It is so amazing and I love cooking and baking with it. So naturally I fell in love with honey joys with the first bite of one.
What are honey joys?
They are a very popular snack from Australia and are made with cereal kind of like Rice Krispies treats. Although instead of using Rice Krispies cereal you use corn flakes. The outer coating is a bit different as well since no marshmallows are used.
They are so simple to make and oh so delicious. The kids will love these for sure! If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather ingredients
You really only need four ingredients to make these delightful snacks:
- Corn flakes – You can’t have honey joys without corn flakes! Although you can definitely experiment with other cereal if you like.
- Butter – The butter adds so much flavor to these snacks.
- Honey – Honey is the star of this dish, if you love honey, you will love these!
- Sugar – The sugar adds sweetness as well as makes up a big part of the glaze which will harden once baked with the cereal.
Step 2: How to make honey joys
Begin by preheating the oven to 300 F/150 C. Now add the sugar, butter, and honey to a saucepan. These combinations of flavors is so amazing! I can see why these snacks are so popular in Australia!
Step 3: Melt that butter and sugar
Place the saucepan on the stovetop and set the burner to medium-low heat. Melt and stir the ingredients until the mixture starts to get foamy or frothy. All we are doing here is melting down the sugar crystals so we don’t have a grainy sugar texture.
Step 4: Coat and bake those honey joys
Now pour the corn flakes into the pan of melted butter, sugar, and honey. Use a spoon or spatula and mix the cereal until evenly coated.
Now line a muffin pan with paper cups and drop spoonfuls, of the coated cereal, into each one. I usually mound them up pretty high. But you can put as much or as little as you want. Just try and be consistent.
While you don’t have to work super fast, don’t walk away from the mixture because it will firm up in the pan because you can put them in the paper cups. Now bake those honey joys in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Step 5: Cool and serve
After they have baked remove them from the oven and allow them to cool completely. Now all you need to do is to eat them! Can you eat just one? I know I can’t. Seriously you will love these and they are perfect snacks for the kids! Enjoy!
How do I store honey joys?
These amazing snacks can be made ahead of time. Once they have cooled just place them in an airtight container and store them on the counter for a few days or in the fridge for about a week.
- Muffin pan
- Paper cups
- Wooden or Silicone spoon
- 4 cups corn flakes 100g
- 1/3 cup of butter 75g
- 1/3 cup of sugar 70g
- 1 to 2 tbsp. of honey 20 to 40g
- Preheat the oven to 300 F/150 C.
- Add the butter, sugar, and honey to a saucepan. Set the burner to medium-low and heat the mixture until it gets foamy/frothy.
- Remove it from the heat and add the cornflakes to the mixture. Use a wooden spoon or silicone spoon to stir and evenly coat the cornflakes.
- Line a muffin pan with paper cups and then spoon in mounds of the honey joy mixture. It's okay to mound them up in the paper cups.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. After done baking, allow them to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: