Ice Cream Rolls also known as Stir-Fried ice cream is a very popular ice cream dessert that originated in Thailand. Ice cream rolls are becoming more and more popular in the United States. I can see why they are super yummy and really fun to make at home.
This is an awesome twist on one of the world’s favorite desserts. You can make so many different flavors and combinations. While you can get a special ice cream roll pan, it is not needed to make these at home. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients and tools
In order to make ice cream rolls you need just a few ingredients and tools:
- Heavy whipping cream – This is the main ingredient in the ice cream base.
- Whole milk – You really need to use whole milk to get the best results.
- White granulated sugar – The sugar will be the main sweet component of the rolled ice cream.
- Oreo cookies – This is a cookies and cream ice cream roll, but you can easy use other flavors if you like.
Step 2: How to make ice cream rolls at home
A few hours before you want to eat the ice cream rolls place your sheet pan or ice cream roll kit pan in the freezer. Now it is time to make the ice cream base. In a sauce pot add the heavy whipping cream, whole milk, and sugar.
Step 3: Heat up the ice cream roll base
Set the burner to medium high and heat up the mixture and stir it until it bubbles. This will only take a few minutes. Make sure to continually stir the mixture. Why are we doing this? Because you want the sugar to dissolve properly in the cream and milk. After it gets really hot just at a slight boil, remove it from the heat. Allow it to cool for 15 to 20 minutes at room temperature. Then transfer it to a small bowl and place that bowl in the fridge for 30 to 40 minutes.
Step 4: Oreo Cookies and freezing
Remove the very cold sheet pan from the freezer. Dip the Oreo cookies or other toppings into the cold ice cream base and then pour it out onto the cold pan. Using clean paint scrapers chop the cookies into the ice cream roll base. This chopping will blend in the cookie as well as add air to the mixture which is what you want. Scrape it to the center and chop, and repeat several times until it is all mixed.
Then spread it out evenly until it is around 1/8th of an inch thick. Now place the pan back in the freezer for at least 4 hours. 1 hour before you want to roll them out add a paint scraper to the freezer as well along with whatever bowls you want to serve it in.
Step 5: Roll out that ice cream
Now remove the freezing cold pan from the freezer and place it on the table or counter. Use a pain scraper at around a 45 degree angle and push away from you which will roll up the ice cream. Next grab the rolled ice cream with some tongs and place in your chilled bowl.
You can definitely serve them like this or add all kinds of different toppings.
Step 6: Finish off those ice cream rolls
There are so many things you can add to the top. Some of my favorites are whipped cream, chocolate chips, and nuts. Get creative with it. Now serve it up and enjoy!
Ice Cream Rolls Troubleshooting Tips
- Sometimes the ice cream won’t roll correctly and will get soft and mushy. This means the ice cream wasn’t cold enough. It needs to sit in the freezer for at least four hours.
- Make sure to chill the ice cream scraper as well. A room temp scraper will soften the ice cream too quickly.
- To keep them from melting too quickly, you can add them to a chilled bowl.
Ice Cream Rolls
- Sheet pan or Ice Cream Rolls Kit
- Paint scrapers/putty knife
- Small pot
- wooden spoon or spatula
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream 60ml
- 2 Tbsp. whole milk 30ml
- 1 Tbsp. of white granulated sugar 15g
- 2 oreo cookies or other ice cream mix-ins
- Chill the sheet pan or ice cream roll kit pan in the freezer for a few hours. 1 hour before you want to make them, place the paint scrapers in the freezer as well.
- Create the base by adding the cream, whole milk, and sugar in a small pot. Heat it on medium-high until it barely starts to bubble. Make sure to stir the mixture so it doesn't burn. Heating it up will dissolve the sugar.
- Once it starts to bubble remove the ice cream base from the heat and allow it to cool at room temperature for a few minutes. Then transfer it to a bowl and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Remove the super cold sheet pan from the freezer along with the paint scrapers. Add the Oreo cookies to the ice cream base and then pour it onto the chilled pan. Chop and mix the cookies into the ice cream base. Scrape it to the center and chop, scrape and chop until well combined. Then spread it out to around 1/8th of an inch thick. Place the pan in the freezer for at least 4 hours. About 30 minutes before serving place the serving bowl in and the paint scrapers in the freezer as well.
- Now take out the pan of ice cream, serving bowl, and paint scrapers out of the freezer. Use the cold paint scraper at one end at scrape and push at a 45-degree angle. This motion will roll up the ice cream. Use tongs to remove the ice cream and place it in the chilled serving bowl. Once done top the Ice cream rolls with whatever you like. Enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: