These Keto shortbread cookies are incredible! They are healthy, low carb, gluten-free and perfect for someone looking for something sweet while on the Keto diet.
Even if you are on a strict Keto diet these shortbread cookies are worth a try. My brother has been on the Keto diet for years now and the diet has really worked well for him. I am not on the Keto diet myself but I enjoy eating the food.
These shortbread cookies are very easy to make using very few ingredients. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make these keto shortbread cookies you need just a handful of ingredients:
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Erythritol or Xylitol Sweeteners
- Vanilla Extract -- This is optional, traditional shortbread cookies don’t have it in them.
- Butter -- Softened either unsalted or salted.
- Egg -- This is optional, eggs aren’t traditional ingredients in shortbread cookies.
Step 2: How to make Keto shortbread cookies
Step 3: Butter and vanilla extract
Now add the softened butter in with the dry ingredients. At this point if you would like to add the vanilla extract you can add it as well. It adds a nice flavor to the cookies, but is not a traditional ingredient in classic shortbread cookies. Use a firm wooden spoon or fork to mix those ingredients together.
Next you can add in the egg if you like. Once again, eggs are not common ingredients in classic shortbread cookies, but it adds a bit of protein and produces a softer cookie. You can leave the egg out if you like. Your keto shortbread cookies dough is ready to go.
Step 4: Shape and bake the Keto shortbread cookies
Prepare a sheet pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. With clean hands spoon out some cookie dough and roll it into a ball. Then place them on the cookie sheet and press them down a bit forming a little disc. The recipe will make about 16 medium-sized cookies.
The cookies will spread out so make sure to pace them about 2 inches a part. Bake them in the oven for 18 to 25 minutes until the edges get golden brown.
When they come out of the oven it is important to allow them to cool completely. If you don’t they will be a bit crumbly. As they cool down they will firm up. Well there you go some awesome Keto shortbread cookies. A nice low carb, sugar free and gluten free treat. Enjoy!
If you are interested in knowing more about the Keto diet and how to be successful with it check out these awesome Keto resources.
Keto Shortbread Cookies
- Large bowl
- Wooden Spoon or fork
- cookie sheet
- parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- 1 ½ cup almond flour 144g
- ½ cup coconut flour 64g
- 1/3 cup Erythritol or Xylitol Sweeteners 76g
- 1 pinch Salt 1g
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 5 mL
- 3/4 cup Unsalted Butter softened 170g
- 1 large Egg optional, traditional shortbread cookies don’t have eggs in them
- Next add in the butter and optional vanilla extract. Now use a fork, wooden spoon, or hard spatula and mix them together.
- At this point, you can add an egg if you like. I like to add it because it adds a little bit of protein and makes the cookies a little softer.
- Now the dough is complete. Spoon some out and roll it into a ball with clean hands. Place it onto a parchment paper-lined or silicone mat-lined cookie sheet. Then press it down until it forms a disc. Make sure the cookies are about 2 inches a part because they will spread out.
- Bake them in the oven, middle rack, for 18 to 25 minutes until the edges are golden brown. After they come out of the oven, allow them to cool completely before eating them. This will allow them to firm up. Once cooled, enjoy!
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: