Everything is awesome, everything is awesome when you are eating this lego man cake.
Growing up I played with Legos ALL the time. It was so fun to build buildings, vehicles, towns, spaceports, etc. I could spend hours playing with those Legos.
If you know someone who loves legos make them a Lego-themed cake for their birthday or other special occasions.
This Lego man cake is very easy to make and is sure to impress your friends and family and of course whoever you wind up giving it to. You could have fun with the kids and make the cake together. If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
I really enjoy making themed cakes, like this Spider-Man cake. And one thing they all have in common is they are usually covered with fondant. They, of course, can be frosted as well, but I don’t think they look as nice.
So for this Lego man cake you will need the following ingredients:
- Cake mix -- Or of course you can make a homemade cake then you would need the ingredients for that cake.
- Water -- if using the cake mix
- Oil -- if using the cake mix
- Eggs -- if using the cake mix
- Fondant -- You can buy fondant at places like Walmart or online. Or you can make a homemade marshmallow fondant as well.
Step 2: How to make a Lego man cake
Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C.
Now make the cake batter whether you use a cake mix or a homemade cake batter. In this particular demonstration, I am just using a basic chocolate cake mix. I have several other cake recipes you can use if you like.
In a large bowl, add the water, eggs, and oil and whisk them together. Then add the cake mix and whisk that together until you are left with a nice smooth cake batter.
Step 3: Bake the cake in a Lego man mold
Now it is time to bake that lego man cake. There are special cake molds that you can buy that are in the shape of a lego man. This is the easiest way to get the proper shape for the cake.
Spray the mold with cooking spray and then pour the cake batter into the mold and fill it roughly two thirds full. Don’t worry if the cake rises above the mold, because it will get trimmed after baking. Save any remaining cake batter and make cupcakes, cake pops, etc.
Place the mold on a sheet pan or cookie sheet. If your cake mold doesn’t lay completely flat, you can fold up aluminum foil and place it under the feet or in the middle to make sure it is level.
Bake the cake in the oven, middle rack position, for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the middle. If the cake rises high and splits a little on the top, don’t worry at all about that.
Let the cake cool completely once it comes out of the oven.
Step 4: Trim and freeze
Once the lego man cake has cooled trim off the extra cake using a long bread knife. This will make the cake level so when it is turned over it will lay properly.
After the cake is trimmed you can just eat those trimmings if you like. Now cover the trimmed cake with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for about an hour. Why are we freezing it? This will ensure it keeps its shape when we pull it out of the mold.
Step 5: Decorating that lego man cake
Next, gently turn the cake over and remove the lego man from the cake mold. Looks pretty awesome already right? Now it is time to decorate it! This is my favorite part. You could certainly just frost it with different colors of frosting. But I like to use fondant.
You may also choose to add frosting first to the cake and then add the frosting, as I do with the Spider-Man cake.
Take some of the yellow fondant and knead it in your clean hands until soft. Then roll it with a rolling ping until it is at least 1/8th of an inch thin or even thinner. Then place the fondant on the head.
Now gently run your fingers around the fondant so it molds and wraps around the head. Sometimes it takes a bit of practice to get this part down, but it really isn’t that hard. Then take a knife and trim around cutting away the excess.
Next repeat the process with the hands, using smaller pieces of fondant. Use your fingers or fondant tools to press down in the eyes and mouth so they show better.
And then for the shirt. I am using red fondant for this cake, but of course you can use whatever colors that you want.
Finish off the lego man cake by putting on the pants. Use the same techniques as before, kneading and rolling out the fondant then shaping it around the cake and trimming the excess away.
Step 6: Make the lego man cake come alive with a face
Time to finish the cake off by adding eyes and a mouth. You can use a tubed black icing for this or use black fondant as well. If using black fondant, sometimes you need to add a tiny bit of water to get the fondant to stick to the other fondant.
Now your Lego man cake is done. Doesn’t it look cool? Everything is awesome, Everything is awesome, when you make a lego-themed cake! Enjoy.
How long will the lego man cake last?
Wrap the cake with plastic wrap and it will last a day or two at room temperature. You can place it in the fridge where it will keep for 4 to 5 days. You can also freeze it.
Lego Man Cake
- Lego Man Cake Mold
- baking sheet
- Whisk or Mixer
- rolling pin
- kitchen spray
- Cake mix or homemade cake recipe with the ingredients
- 3 Large eggs for cake mix
- 1 cup of water for cake mix
- 1/2 cup of oil for cake mix
- Cake Decorating Icing
- Frosting optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C. Or heat to oven to the temp your cake recipe calls for.
- Make the cake batter. For the cake mix, in a large bowl whisk together the eggs, water, and oil. Then add in the cake mix and whisk until the cake batter is smooth. If making the cake batter from scratch follow the instructions for that recipe. I have a few here on my website if you like.
- Place the lego man cake mold on top of a sheet pan or cookie sheet. Spray it with cooking spray and then pour the batter into the mold roughly two thirds full. You will probably have some cake batter leftover which you can use for cupcakes or something if you like.
- If the mold isn't laying level, place some folded aluminum foil under it so it is level. Then bake the cake for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely, then come in with a long knife like a bread knife and trim off any cake that rose above the mold. Don't worry if the cake split a little bit.
- Now cover the cake in plastic wrap and freeze it for about an hour. You may get away with not freezing it, but sometimes, even when spraying the mold, it doesn't like to release the cake without breaking parts off, which we don't want. So for safety, it is a good idea to freeze it.
- Next, gently remove the cake from the mold and place it on the cake board or cake pedestal. Time to decorate it. You may frost it with a thin layer of frosting first before doing the fondant, or just go straight to the fondant.
- Take a chunk of yellow fondant and knead it in your hands until soft. Then roll it out until it is between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch thick. Now place it on the head and use your fingers to smooth it around the head. Then trim the excess with a knife.
- Repeat the steps for the hands, then use a different color for the shirt and pants. There are some special fondant decorating tools that are handy, but only worth it if you are doing to be decorating a lot of cakes with fondant.
- For the face, use your finger to indent the eyes and mouth. Then fill it in with some black icing or make some pieces from black fondant and place them.
- The lego man cake is now finished, enjoy! Cover it with plastic wrap and store at room temp for a couple of days, or place in the fridge for 4 to 5 days, or freeze it.
Do you like this recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.
Here are a few more recipes you may like: