Growing up we at a lot of corn on the cob. We had a cool garden on a quarter acre lot and it was always fun growing that corn. What wasn’t fun was shucking the corn and trying to get every silk off. Then without fail the silks would stick to your clothes and get everywhere. Well in order to get rid of all that fuss there is a cool way to cook the corn and not deal with shucking and the silks. Microwave corn on the cob is the way to go! I know some people are against using the microwave, but it really is a great way to cook the corn. Especially if you don’t want to make a lot of them. I live alone and when I crave corn on the cob, I don’t want to shuck it, get the silks off, and boil a big pot of water just for one or two ears of corn. So this method works out great.
Don’t get me wrong though I still like the other methods, especially cooking corn on the grill. But if you want a great tasting ear of corn fairly quickly, try out the microwave.
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
For microwave corn on the cob we don’t need a lot of stuff. You will need:
- Corn in the husks (washed)
- cutting board
- sharp knife
- toppings (butter, salt, pepper, etc)
Step 2: Place corn in the microwave and cook
First we will place the corn in it’s husk in the microwave, then we will cook it on high for 3 minutes.
Step 3: Remove corn on the cob with oven mitt
Now you can let the corn sit in the microwave and cool down a bit or just remove it with an oven mitt. Then place it on your cutting board.
Step 4: Cut the corn and pinch/wiggle
Now using a sharp knife cut off the end of the corn, then pinch and push the corn out of the husk, leaving all the silks behind! If you hold it upright and wiggle it a bit while pinching the corn will come out as well. If the corn isn’t hot you can just grab the end and pull it out too. Tongs can work as well but you might damage a few of the kernels. You may get one or two silks, but that is not bad, pick those off. Super easy!! Then put whatever toppings you want on it. Butter, salt, and pepper, are the classics.
Want some more side dishes? Find them here.
Can I do more then one ear of corn? Yes you certainly can, but you will need to add more time. Depending on the watts of your microwave. With 2 ears try 5 1/2 minutes, for 3 ears go 8 1/2 minutes. You may need to adjust the time a bit after cooking a few.
Now watch those steps in action by checking out the short video tutorial. 🙂
Microwave Corn On The Cob
- sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Corn in the husks washed
- First we will place the washed corn in it's husk in the microwave, then we will cook it on high for 3 minutes. (adjust time for more ears, 5 1/2 minutes for 2, 8 1/2 for 3) The time will also vary depending on the wattage of your microwave.
- Now all we need to do is remove the corn with an oven mitt. It will be really hot. Place it on a cutting board.
- Now using a sharp knife cut off the end of the corn, then pinch and push the corn out of the husk, leaving all the silks behind! You can also hold it upright and let gravity do its thing while wiggling the husk. If it is cool enough you can just grab it and pull it out. Tongs can work as well but be careful you don't damage the kernels. You may get one or two silks, but that is not bad, pick those off. Super easy!! Then put whatever toppings you want on it. Butter, salt, and pepper, are the classics.
Do you like the recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. 🙂 If you make it tag me on instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.