What can I say? I love pie. It is hard to find a slice of pie that I don’t like. And this homemade triple berry pie is one of my favorites.
If you love pie and you love blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries then you will fall in love with this from scratch triple berry pie recipe. You don’t have to be a master baker to bake amazing pies. This pie is incredibly easy to make, if I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get baking!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients
In order to make this delicious triple berry pie you need the following ingredients and tools:
- Blackberries or Raspberries
- White granulated sugar
- Pie crust – Enough for a bottom and a top for a 9-inch pie plate. You can double this homemade pie crust recipe or of course you can buy storebought. Homemade is better though!
Step 2: How to make a triple berry pie
Begin by making your pie crust. Do you know what really makes pies amazing? Definitely a nice flaky buttery homemade pie crust. You can use my recipe or your favorite pie crust recipe. Or store-bought does work well in a pinch.
Wrap the pie crust dough in plastic wrap and chill it until ready to use it. So this can definitely be made ahead of time. Just leave it out at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour so it is easier to roll out.
When you are ready to make your berry pie, preheat the oven to 375 F/190 C. With the main rack in the middle position.
Time to make the filling. In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, and ground cinnamon.
Add the berries to the bowl and mix them together with the other ingredients until well coated. If you want you can switch out one of the berries with raspberries, or heck, you can even add raspberries in as well so you have four kinds of berries.
Step 3: Working with the pie crust
Dust your work surface, counter or table, and then roll out one of the pie crust doughs. It should be a little over an in in diameter bigger all around the pie plate.
Turn the pie plate over and use it as a guide if needed. Then lay down the rolling pin and roll up the pie dough, flip the pie plate over, and unroll the pie crust onto it. Shape it with your hands gently so if forms to the pie plate.
Step 4: Fill and bake the triple berry pie
Now add the pie filling to the pie plate. Cut the butter up into chunks and place it on top of the filling. Next, you can roll out the other pie dough and lay it on top and then crimp the edges all around like I do in this apple pie recipe.
Or you can get a little fancier and cut out 1-inch wide strips from the dough after it is rolled out and created a lattice for the top. It helps to use a ruler to get nice straight lattice strips.
To create the lattice for the triple berry pie, lay the strips of the pie crust down lengthwise across the top of the pie. Then come in sideways and fold up every other strip and lay down another going that direction.
Then if you like you can take little fondant tools and cut out all kinds of different designs from the leftover pie dough and decorate the top of the pie to hide any lattice edges you don’t want showing.
Just place them down where you want them. Once you are done decorating the top of your pie, make sure to trim around the edges with a knife to cut away any excess pie dough.
I like to place the pie on a sheet pan. It just makes it easier to remove it from the oven when it is done. Bake the pie for 1 hour 30 minutes up to 1 hour and 45 minutes. Check the pie after 1 hour if the top is getting too brown, place aluminum foil over the top to shield it.
The pie will be done when it is nice and bubbly in the middle and the crust is golden brown. Remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool completely. Once done you can serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or plain. Enjoy!
How long does triple berry pie last?
If stored at room temperature covered with plastic wrap or foil it will last for 2 days or so, or about 4 to 5 days if stored in the fridge. You may also freeze the pie for several months.
Here are some other recipes you may like:
Triple Berry Pie
- 9-inch pie pan
- Fondant tools
- rolling pin
- sheet pan
- Aluminum foil
- 2 cups of blackberries or raspberries 220g
- 1 1/2 cups of blueberries 150g
- 1 cup of sliced strawberries 160g
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch 24g
- 1/2 cup of white granulated sugar 110g
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon 1g
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg 1g
- 1/4 cup of butter 60g
- 2 9-inch pie crusts Homemade or store-bought
- Flour for dusting
- Make your homemade pie crust first or you can use storebought. I have a recipe for a great pie crust here on my blog.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/190 C. In a large bowl whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg.Next, add in all the berries and use a spoon and mix everything together until well coated. The filling is ready to go.
- Roll out one of the pie crust doughs on a floured surface. Flip the pie plate over and make sure the rolled out dough is at least 1-inch in diameter larger all around. Roll up the pie dough onto the rolling pin and then flip the pie plate over and roll it onto the plate. Form the dough to the pie pan gently with your hands. Now pour in all the pie filling. Cut up some cubes of butter and place those on top.
- Next, roll out the other pie crust and set it on top and crimp around the edges with a fork to seal it. Then poke holes in the top with a fork. Trim around the edges of the pie with a knife to remove the excess pie dough.Or you can do a more fancy lattice top. Cut pie dough strips about 1 inch using a ruler. Then lay 4 or 5 strips down on top. Fold up every other one. Then cut out 4 or 5 more strips and lay them down weaving them in between the other ones. You may also cut out little designs from the leftover pie crust dough and place those on top of the pie.
- Bake the pie for a total of 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes on the middle rack. It makes it easier if you set the pie plate on a sheet pan. That will also catch any potential pie filling spillage. Check the pie after an hour, if it is getting too brown on top, cover it loosely with aluminum foil. The pie will be nice and golden brown as well as bubbly in the middle when done.
- Once baked, remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool completely before serving, it usually takes 30 minutes or longer to cool down. Enjoy!
Do you like the recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.