Do you want a fun, kid-friendly, dessert to make? Try out this awesome worms in dirt dessert recipe. It is so easy to make and uses very few ingredients, like some yummy gummy worms, Oreo cookies, and chocolate pudding. Worms in Dirt or Mud and Worms, Dirt Cups, etc. are a family favorite. This is a great snack to make with the kids or grandkids. I remember eating this when I was a kid. It is such a simple creative idea and the kids love it! What is not to like about this amazing chocolate treat? If I can do it, you can do it. Let’s get started!
Step 1: Gather the ingredients and tools
In order to make this yummy worms in the dirt dessert, you will need a few ingredients and tools. They are:
- Pudding mix -- Or you can make your own homemade chocolate pudding if you like.
- Cold milk -- This will go with the pudding mix.
- Oreo cookies -- The oreo cookies will be the top layer of this dessert and will act like the “ground” or dirt.
- Gummy worms -- The absolute star of this dish are the gummy worms. You can’t have worms in the dirt without them.
- Large bowl
- Bag or food processor
- Meat tenderizer or rolling pin
Step 2: How to make this worms in dirt dessert recipe
One of the main components of this dessert is chocolate pudding. First, make your chocolate pudding using a mix or with a homemade recipe. Then set the pudding aside to firm up.
Step 3: Oreo cookies, oh yeah
Next, we need to create the “dirt”. In this case, Oreo cookies will be used. Because, why not? Put several Oreo cookies in a large zip lock bag and then crush them into crumbs using a meat tenderizer or a rolling pin. You can make the crumbs as fine or coarse as you like.
Step 4: Assemble the worms in dirt dessert
Now it is time to assemble this yummy dessert. Grab some plastic cups and begin by layering the pudding and Oreo crumbs creating the mud/dirt base. You can start with the pudding first or the crumbs first it is up to you. Then add another layer, etc. Place those gummy worms in and your dessert is ready to go. Simple as that! The only thing left to do is to serve them up! This is a fun treat to bring to parties or just make it with your kids for some great family time together. Enjoy!
Worms in Dirt Dessert
- Large bowl
- Large bag or food processor
- meat tenderizer or rolling pin
- 1 -- 6 ounce instant pudding mix or use a homemade pudding recipe
- 3 cups of cold milk follow instructions on instant pudding package
- 12 to 14 Oreo cookies
- 1 package of gummy worms
- First, make your pudding. You can use an instant chocolate pudding mix or use a homemade pudding recipe. Combine the mix with the milk and then whisk it together. Set the bowl aside until the pudding firms up. About 10 minutes.
- Next, mash up your Oreo cookies. You can do this in a food processor or place the cookies in a large zip lock bag and use a rolling pin or meat tenderizer to create the crumbs.
- Now take small plastic cups and spoon in some pudding, then some oreo cookie crumbs, then some more pudding, etc. Layering it up to the top. Then place in some gummy worms and you are done! Easy as that. Enjoy.
Do you like the recipe? Please give it a rating and comment down below, I really appreciate it. If you make it tag me on Instagram @inthekitchenwithmatt. Also, sign up for the newsletter so you won’t miss out on any of my new posts and recipes.